Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Picking a subject that's good enough to eat

I've been continuing to look for subjects on a yellow theme and a project from a recent camera
magazine gave me an idea to try.

The article was based on the colour red, and one picture in particular caught my eye - it showed several rows of green apples with one bright red apple on the rule of thirds providing a contrast and drawing the eye.

Not wanting particularly to splash out on dozens of apples to try the same effect, I'd been looking for something less expensive that could give a similar effect but using my chosen theme, yellow.  Browsing in the shop at work, a pack of M&Ms suddenly stared back at me and I had my idea!

Trouble was one pack wouldn't be enough to guarantee enough of the right colours... so three bags later and I was fully prepared!


Here's a couple of my efforts - I tried the same idea as in the magazine with one colour contrasting with the one yellow one, then an alternative with a mix of colours but again just the one yellow.

But the best thing about photographing M&Ms in this way is that once you've had enough, you can eat the subject!!

No comments: